home about me our home

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Play With Make-Up!!







One of the many things I love about being a girl is being able to play with make-up.

I remember when I was a teenager, and brush-on make-up became in vogue my Dad use to tease me and ask if I needed the dust pan. 

He would tell me that he didn’t understand why I would take so long to put on make-up to get a natural look!!


He was right! I did spend a lot of time choosing just the right colors and blending them to give me a fresh faced natural look.


To this day I still love nothing better than to look naturally enhanced!!

As I have become older I am finding that a little less make-up with a softer touch is better for the look I enjoy.

Today I am going to share with you the make-up products that I have used, and have had success with.

Let’s start at the bottom of it all …..

FOUNDATION
I actually have two foundations I use, sometimes alone, and sometimes together, depending on the look I am going for.

Bare Minerals:

I know everyone in the world uses this product. It is a tried and true product for me.

I do find that I have to use it with a light hand as I get older, but it has wonderful coverage for the days, or nights I feel I need a bit more staying power.

LIQUID FOUNDATION


I love the smooth finish the Chanel foundation gives me. I wear a color called  03 Cendre. A little goes a long way.

Next is what I call my miracle make-up!

BOI~ING

Such a funny name!! But, it is named well, because it really does make your eyes going Boi~ing!!! 

I was so glad to find this product. I have very dark circles around my eyes and this stuff really does hide them well. You have to try this!! I promise you will thank me later!!
 BROWS
Now that I have my foundation in place it is time to do my brows. Don't forget to fill in your brows, remember they are like a frame around a pretty picture.

I love this dynamic duo by Bare Minerals. I use the light ash blonde. I find this product so easy to apply and it looks soft and natural. Remember I love a natural look!!

Have you all noticed the trend of thicker eyebrows, again?

Next………
THE EYES
I have green eyes so I use a liner that is a very dark plum that comes off as a soft dark brown with a purple undertone. The purple makes my eyes pop more than any other color.


The trick to using this product is to blow off any access on the special angled brush before applying and then just dab it close to your eyelashes. That way you get a more natural look. 

The beauty of this product is you can apply more for a dramatic look for evening, and with the angled brush you can even get a fun cat-eye look without looking too harsh.

I always, always use an eye lash curler. Every one swears by the  shu uemera, but I read an article claiming that the Sonia Koshak at Tarjay was just as good. 

That is the one I own and I love it. I was having a hard time getting my eyelashes to stay curled but with this curler they are great.

Last but not least…….
MASCARA
I have trouble with most mascaras making my eyes weep so I have used Maybelline for years and it seems to work great for me.

One by One Volum’ Express!

Last but not least I pop a soft pink/lavender shadow in the very center of my eye lid,  blending it outward.  I learned a long time ago this makes my eyes stand out more.

The shadow I use is discontinued so I am on the hunt for the perfect color. When I find it I will share it with you, I promise!!

If you are still with me you are to be commended. I know this is a lengthy subject.

Next post I will tell you all about my favorite lipsticks, glosses and blushes. Oh my, I do love a good gloss!!

Be sure to come back, and also leave any helpful comments telling us which products  you swear by.

 Inquiring minds want to know!!

If you missed my last post be sure and read  it. It is all about my tried and true skin care products I now use. There is also a picture of me so you can see my make-up in action!! Go HERE!
  
 

17 comments:

Libby said...

Yes! I love Bare Escentials. My skin tends to be blotchy and this is the only makeup that absolutely solves that problem! The "tap-tappping" gets to me sometimes (not to mention my husband if he's around...), but I won't use any other brand now. Always use their Prime Time first. Their mascara is also good: have you tried it?

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Have been around the block many times with all of these products. Today I'm basically down to the least amount I can get away with. I have a tinted moisturizer from Laura Mercier and most of the other items from them. I will look for Boi-ing.

Blondie's Journal said...

I love a girly post! This post is so helpful because I have tried every product available for the dark circles under my eyes. I am going to try the Boi-ing. I use Bare Minerals powder, too. It makes my skin flawless. When I use my make up remover wipes at night, I see it on the wipe and I know it stayed on my face all day long!

XO,
Jane

Unknown said...

We talked about face cleansers and cosmetics today, too.
I love this natural look. Gotta try a heavier foundation, so might try the Chanel. It gets tricky this decade (60 here) to keep my skin dewey! I need spackle, too, to fill in the cracks, aka wrinkles.
Hope all is well KathySue,
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Karena said...

KathySue I love our girl talk and am going to try some of your faves!

You brighten my day.

xoxo
Karena
2013 Artists Series

The enchanted home said...

Love this post. Think I need to update my make repertoire!!I have never used or bought a bare minerals product, and now feel so out of the loop...that must change TODAY.
I love Bobbi brown shadows, Mac lipsticks, Laura Mercier moisturizing foundation(when I use it) like Dior show mascara but also really like Maybelline falsies. MUST try this bo-ing because I am in need of a good concealer and I am intrigued. Fun post!! Keep em coming.....so much good information!

The enchanted home said...

Love this post. Think I need to update my make repertoire!!I have never used or bought a bare minerals product, and now feel so out of the loop...that must change TODAY.
I love Bobbi brown shadows, Mac lipsticks, Laura Mercier moisturizing foundation(when I use it) like Dior show mascara but also really like Maybelline falsies. MUST try this bo-ing because I am in need of a good concealer and I am intrigued. Fun post!! Keep em coming.....so much good information!

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

Love all these Kathysue! Thanks for the tips!

Unknown said...

i'm not HUGE into make-up - but THE BEST mascara EVER is by Givency - it's the one with the round end - it brings your lashes to a whole new level!

PS – my friend is gonna be on Millionaire Matchmaker on Bravo TONIGHT come check it out on the bog :o)

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I can't quite get on the Bare Minerals band wagon, instead for daily use I use Clinique's loose powder but if I really want to dress up nothing beats Chanel's foundation and you are right a little goes a l-o-n-g way!

michele said...

i could talk makeup all day, and it must be the month of january that makes us all refresh our makeup arsenal and skincare essentials.

i must get my hands on boing as my dark circles are legendary! i also want to try benefit's erase. heard good stuff.

i use lancome adaptive foundation which is discontinued and tough to find. i use chanel blush and lip colors. bobbie brown for eyes and concealer. and a nifty bronzer which is also discontinued by revlon. mac lip liner. i'm also using some votre vu which is fabulous and i'll be blogging bout it.

keep the makeup tips comin!

michele

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Mary Kay has three possible shades for your eyes. I would love to send you some to try. Just let me know if you are interested.

Leslie said...

Great line up of products Kathysue. The mineral make up is one I recommend post procedure for patients with acne or sensitive skin. It also has the added benefit of sun protection factor for a bit more sunscreen.

xxL

Babs said...

KathySue, I've used Bare Minerals for years and loved it. Just recently, I bought the Bare Minerals "Ready" foundation, and love it even more. My skin is dry so the Ready really helps. I also use the eye shadow,brow and blush and Mineral Veil.
All are fantastic products.
Thanks for sharing your products.
Babs

Allison said...

I love these posts Kathysue! I did my fair share of the sun in my younger days...wish I had not because I know I added a few extra lines and wrinkles. I love skin care products and make up and yes as we get older need to change our skin care/ makeup routine. At least I have found I do. I love Bare Minerals and agree, less is more. Isn't Boi-ing fabulous! Love it! I also have been using Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser for Dark Circles. I like this product a lot, too. My lashes don't hold a curl very well so I will give that lash curler you recommended a try. I am still searching for something to make my skin have a more " dewey" appearance. Keep these posts coming Kathysue! Hope you have a great weekend. It seems to be warming up a bit in the Bay Area after this cold spell we've been having.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I don't wear much make up anymore. I'm not sure when I stopped wearing eye make up...it's been a while. My go-to's are cream to powder foundation, blush and lipstick. That's it! I enjoyed see all your treasures. :o)

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

I'm looking for a new foundation...I'm going to have to check your out.