home about me our home

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

An OLD Love That Is A NEW Love Again!

   

Do you ever find yourself in love with a past love? I do!!

At least in design elements that is! I actually had to make a pinboard on Pinterest called…….

THINGS I AM LOVING AT THE MOMENT

The reason I have a board named this, is I was finding myself drawn to things  that I have had in my home in the past, but have fallen in love with them again.  


All of this explanation to introduce you to an old/new element I am considering adding into my home for the summer months.

You all know how I love to change out my accessories for the seasons!! In the summer we all think of water and the beach, or at least I do.

Now that my family room has more neutral elements I will have an easier time changing out things.

This element has a theme, and I usually don’t  do thematic rooms  so I have to do it with restraint.

THE SAILBOAT


I know you have probably already guessed it was a sail boat by all of the above images. Years ago our family room actually had some nautical elements in it's design.

This time around I am only going to add a couple of nautical elements with a nod to the ocean. 

I try not to do kitschy, so you won’t be seeing any flip-flop images on my walls or, Let’s go to the Beach signs.

(One of my all time favorites by Sarah Richardson)


Since I prefer a casual, understated, elegant look I am going to stick with a pretty large sailboat. ( I am a big is better, less is more gal.)

I  think I have the perfect spot for a sail boat…..


922732_10152227403410288_552646896_n
This console table sits on the back wall in my family room, behind the blue ticking sofa. I think a large sailboat will look perfect sitting here.

I will only have to make a few small changes in my room to add this element, which is a very good thing, since I just re-did the room, and still have a few finishing touches to add.

Now to find the perfect candidate!!

I am on the hunt so if any of you have a good source let me know!!

 
 

20 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

That will be perfect, Kathysue! I am still loving the birdcage, though. You are the reason I bought mine all those years ago when we were on RMS! Hugs...Debbie

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I know what you mean... some elements are meant to be repeated!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

THE HUNT IS A HUGE PART OF THE FUN!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

A boat there will be perfect especially for the summer months. I hope you find the perfect one!

The enchanted home said...

I love sailboats especially for homes near the water. The very first beach house we ever rented had a whole collection of them, they were wonderful and such a pretty reminder that we are at the beach.....ever since then when I see one it brings back such great memories!

SHERRY HART said...

Yes...Yes...Yes....that would look perfect in your room Kathysue! I don't think it is too much of a theme...but classic. Especially with your blue and white ticking!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That will look good, Kathysue. I love those large boats. I love changing things up a bit for the seasons. Keeps from being boring.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I too love your old, new love! The ship is a lovely and great idea, it'll make such a statement in your lovely home, it screams, in a serene way: SUMMER IS HERE... Big hugs,
FABBY

vignette design said...

I love the idea of a sailboat on your console. And since it already has a large birdcage, it won't overwhelm as you're used to something big anyway. It will be a nice change.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Kathsue, a sailboat will look fabulous on that console and also on your mantel. Can't wait to see what you find. Hugs, Mary

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Kathysue...I have always loved this look...believe it or not I saw a large sail boat at HomeGoods...

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

I think a sailboat would look perfect in your family room, Kathysue. Happy hunting for just the right one!
~ Wendi xo

Anonymous said...

No one could ever call you kitschy!! I find myself living all of my gold accents that I thought for SURE I'd never use again. So glad I kept the :)
Stacy

Linda Hartong said...

I think that is a great idea. I have been noticing lots of sailboats in the homes magazines lately. A perfect summer accent. Good luck in your search

Andrea said...

I love to see sailboats incorporated in decor… They provide a classic nod to seaside living. Have you tried finding one on eBay? I can't wait to see what you do!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

For an interesting one, I guess you would look on Ebay? Where do you store all of the accessories when you are not displaying them? How big is your garage?

Melinda said...

If anybody knows how to avoid a theme it's you! I'm sure whatever you choose will look fabulous. I agree, bigger the better for sure!

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

Kathysue, a perfect addition for the summer months. I have a big blue and white sailboat in my sons room that sits on his windowsill. Its been there since he was little and have never changed it!

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I have been admiring sailboats for a couple of years now, too. I'd love to have one to set out during the summer months. Great inspiration!

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

I always add coastal touches to my home this time of year...think sea shells, sea glass, and shades of blues and greens. That console table is the perfect spot for a sailboat...ps. where did you get that console table? Looking for a new one and love the detail on yours!