home about me our home

Monday, May 16, 2016

Backyard Update

    

"Let The Planting Begin!"

In my last backyard update post I left you all with images of our hardscape and the selections for our base plants.

So much has happened since that last post it is hard to know where to begin.

Bare with me as I take you through a guided tour of our backyard process!.....

I left you here.....

All the hardscape was done and we were waiting to go and select our plants. I love to go to nurseries and  sometimes will just go and walking up and down the aisles.

For our selections Jorge, our landscaper took us to a wholesale nursery that had 22 acres of plants. OH MY!!!

 I was like a kid in the candy store!

We chose our base plants first, two large trees, and 6 tiny towers for the side of fence trees,plus 2 espaliered lemon and 2 espaliered lemon trees.



Once those were chosen we could fill in with the rest of the plantings.

You can imagine my excitement when all the plants arrived.....

Boxwood, bower vines, sungold breath of heaven, espaliered lemon and lime trees, and 3 espaliered white camellias will surround our yard.


White iceberg rose trees, and star jasmine will be adding fragrance to the yard as well as lavender.




I think we have all the senses taken care of!


My sweet hubby checking out the perimeter trees. We both felt sorry for the workers that had to dig the holes for the 36in. boxed Chinese pistachio trees.

 

They planted the trees first and started laying things out to see how I wanted the other plantings arranged before the holes were dug.

 Looking good!

When they added the black bark mulch all the green plants came to life.

The plan came together beautifully and I could see my yard almost complete.



Of course the grass has to be planted and the boulders on the slope need to be added, then there are the trellises to hold the bower vines on the back fence and the lighting. So many details and all of them will make the picture complete.

We can see the finish line right before us! Stay tuned for the next installment of our little journey!





 
 
 

13 comments:

michele said...

it's looking beautiful, and i'm amazed at how something just installed already has a 'been there for awhile maturity' quality which can be so tough to wait for! can't wait to see the finish line. xox

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

All I can say is WOW! I am so impressed with all of this. Your backyard is going to be quite the paradise. It's already looking fabulous but as the years tick off those pistachio trees are doing to provide shade and privacy. The selection of plants is fantastic. So happy for you! I can't imagine moving those big trees into place and the holes they had to dig! The black mulch really added beauty. Can't wait to see the rest!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

It is looking amazing, Kathy Sue. Can't wait to see the final, finished product.

Unknown said...

Your yard looks so beautiful!
The designer did a great job incorporating the graded area into your landscape. And yes, I'm still jealous of your Stanford bricks ;)
Darlene
www.BundleMeBaby.etsy.com

Donnamae said...

It really looks wonderful! Best part....you didn't have to do all that work! ;)

nancy2 said...

Those Chinese pistachio trees are show stoppers in the fall, just beautiful.

Marty said...

I don't think I have ever seen black mulch before. Does it fade with age? It must be more expensive then the regular brown mulch? I love the way it looks. Everything is beautiful as I knew it would be. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Mary said...

Really nice! I love the contrast created with the black mulch.

La Dolfina said...

Gosh it looks amazing Kathysue!
What a fabulous summer you have to look forward to!
XO

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You must be ecstatic as the backyard looks amazing!...You certainly made some great choices!!!

Lady of the Manor said...

Your backyard is really coming together beautifully! I really like the fence color you chose.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Looking good, love the dark mulch, that's what we are going to use as well. CAn't wait to see the finishing touches. Exciting!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kathysue, it's looking beautiful! Wow, those are big trees! I know you are going to enjoy this backyard this summer and think how much bigger the trees will be in just a few years with such a great starting size. Exciting transformation! :)