When it comes to your home's rooms, have you ever said,
" I wish I could start all over!"?
If we are being honest we probably have all said that at some point, but the reality of the matter is most of us do not have the budget to do that.
So what CAN we do?
Actually there are a lot of things we can do, but first we need to have a plan so we spend our time, energy and money wisely.
I am talking about a plan that will help you work with what you already have with a few new additions.
Remove all elements except your main furniture pieces from the room.
Now step back and ask yourself a few questions:
1. Is there a good flow in my room?
2. Do I need all the pieces in the room? If the answer is no, remove the unnecessary piece right now.
3. Arrange furniture pieces for the best flow, and use in the room. Don't be afraid to take pieces from other parts of your home. Shop what you already own.
4. Be creative, think outside the box.
Look around to see if you have enough lighting in the room. Here is a formula for you to figure out just how much you need...
1. Now that you know how much lighting you need place necessary lighting around the room. Keeping in mind to use floor lamps, table lamps, sconces and over head lighting.
2. This is a good time to make a new purchase if you need to brighten up your space, and update the style. Try getting something that is a bit more modern in shape and a lighter color or a reflective metal.
ALL UNDER $300
ALL UNDER $100
Look at your walls do you need a fresh coat of paint? Where do you need to add mirrors or paintings?
1. Mirrors are wonderful to reflect more light in a room and they can also enlarge a space.
2. Keep in mind the shape, color, style and size of the mirror you are using. Your mirror can introduce style, texture and color if chosen carefully. Don't be afraid to add a floor mirror, it is like adding an extra window.
3. It is very important to remember that not every wall needs something on it. If you want someone to stop and look at the wall then put something on it, otherwise leave it empty.
Many homeowners make the mistake of adding something to every little sliver of wall that they have. It is not necessary!
4. All rooms need a place for the eye to rest so having an area without something placed there is a good idea to keep the eye flowing around the room.
5. When selecting a color for your walls, be sure to bring home the color chips and then decide on which three you want to get a sample pint. Get some poster board and paint a large sampling on the poster board using at least 2 coats so you get the full pigmentation of the color.
6. Place your sample board in the lightest area and the darkest corner to see how it looks before making a decision.
Every room needs something that is alive, plants or flowers will fall into this category.
1. Choose 2-3 areas where you might add a plant or a floral arrangement. Use real whenever possible. Nothing can look as tired as a dusty artificial arrangement of unrealistic flowers or plants. I like to add a live plant in corners to bring life to an otherwise dead spot in the room.
2. It is nice to have a certain area that you always have fresh flowers. Remember you can add greenery to a vase from you yard and it can look beautiful. Fresh flowers are so inexpensive at your grocery store just about anyone can have them in their homes.
Time for accessorizing. Decide if you are a less is more person or a more is more person. Look around to see where you need color or texture.
1. Only bring back the elements that you absolutely love. Sometimes it is time to retire certain elements in our home. Remember you can always rotate them in and out of your room.
2. Vary the textures in your accessories, mix up rough, shiny, dull and smooth textures. By varying textures you will have an interesting room.
3. Freshen up the fabrics on your pillows this can be done seasonally as well. It is fun to bring in new pillows to change out a rooms look.
If new purchases need to be made I always like to choose the least available pieces first. This would be area rugs and main furniture pieces. Once you have those pieces then you are ready to choose the others.
Sometimes all we need to do is make a few purchases to freshen things up.
One mistake some homeowners make is they just keep adding the new with the old without editing the room first. That can be a big mistake and you just might end up with a hot mess of a room if you do that.
Before making a purchase first you have to be attracted to it, and then ask yourself where you will use it. Place it there in your minds eye. If you think it will work go for it!
Instead of thinking about what you can't do now, think about what you CAN DO!!
Enjoy The Process of:
Making your room look like a new room!!